
Washington, D.C. — May 21, 2026
U.S. President Donald Trump has issued a fresh warning to Iran over ongoing nuclear negotiations, saying the United States could take “harsh” action if Tehran refuses to finalize a nuclear agreement with Washington.
Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump said negotiations with Iran had reached a critical stage and stressed that the outcome would determine the next course of action for the United States.
“We are in the final stages with Iran. We’ll see what happens,” Trump said. “Either they make a deal, or we will do some things that will be a little harsh, but hopefully we won’t have to.”
The remarks come amid heightened global attention on U.S.-Iran relations and renewed international concerns over regional security and nuclear diplomacy in the Middle East.
Trump Praises Netanyahu During Remarks
During the interaction with reporters, Trump also praised Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, describing him as a strong wartime leader.
“Netanyahu will do what I want. He’s a very good person,” Trump said, adding that the Israeli leader does not receive enough respect within Israel despite leading the country during periods of conflict.
The comments quickly drew attention internationally, especially as tensions in the region continue to influence diplomatic and military calculations involving Iran, Israel, and the United States.
Trump References Past U.S. Military Engagements
Trump also compared the current Iran situation with previous American military interventions in countries such as Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq.
He argued that those conflicts lasted for years and resulted in massive casualties, while claiming the United States had managed the current Iran-related tensions differently and with comparatively lower losses.
The president referenced the deaths of 13 American service members during the Afghanistan withdrawal, while criticizing previous administrations and asserting that the U.S. had avoided broader escalation in recent regional confrontations.
“We’ve done something amazing,” Trump said, while claiming that Iran had been significantly weakened economically and strategically.
He further stated that “big things” would happen for the United States over the next three years under his presidency.
Iran Rejects Threats, Calls for Diplomacy
Meanwhile, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian responded firmly to Trump’s remarks, saying that pressure and war are not solutions to international disputes.
In a statement shared on social media platform X, Pezeshkian said Iran has consistently honored its commitments and has made efforts to avoid military confrontation.
“All paths remain open from our side,” the Iranian president said. “Iran has always been ready for dialogue and diplomacy, but forced surrender will never be accepted.”
The statement signals that while Tehran remains open to negotiations, Iranian leadership is unlikely to accept terms perceived as coercive or imposed under pressure.
Global Focus on Nuclear Negotiations
The renewed exchange of sharp rhetoric between Washington and Tehran comes at a sensitive moment for global diplomacy, with several countries closely monitoring developments surrounding Iran’s nuclear program and regional stability.
Analysts say any collapse in negotiations could have broader implications for energy markets, geopolitical stability in the Middle East, and international security frameworks.
Neither the White House nor Iranian officials have publicly confirmed a final timeline for concluding the negotiations.










