
New Delhi, India — May 21, 2026
The Indian government has intensified nationwide monitoring and preparedness measures for the Ebola virus following a high-level review meeting chaired by senior health officials, even as authorities confirmed that no Ebola cases have been detected in the country so far.
According to official sources, the Union Health Ministry conducted a comprehensive preparedness assessment with all states and Union Territories after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.
The review meeting was chaired on Wednesday by Health Secretary Punya Salila Srivastava and attended by health secretaries from states and Union Territories. Officials evaluated India’s response systems, surveillance mechanisms, quarantine protocols, and healthcare readiness in the event of any potential Ebola-related emergency.
Centre Strengthens Surveillance Across Airports and Health Facilities
The Health Ministry said India remains free of Ebola infections at present, but precautionary measures have been significantly enhanced in view of the international situation.
Authorities have instructed states and Union Territories to ensure preparedness at every level, including:
- Pre-arrival screening of international travelers
- Post-arrival monitoring
- Quarantine protocols
- Referral systems for suspected cases
- Patient isolation and management
- Laboratory testing readiness
Detailed standard operating procedures related to Ebola surveillance and response have already been circulated to all states and Union Territories, officials said.
Sources added that the Health Secretary emphasized coordinated disease surveillance, timely reporting of suspected cases, and readiness of designated healthcare facilities.
WHO Declares Ebola a Global Health Emergency
The heightened alert in India follows the World Health Organization’s emergency declaration over the ongoing Ebola outbreak linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain in parts of Africa.
According to the WHO, outbreaks have been reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda. As of May 18, health authorities recorded 528 suspected cases and 132 deaths linked to the outbreak.
The WHO stated that a total of 668 Ebola-related cases have been identified globally, including:
- 541 cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- 127 cases in Uganda
The organization also warned that monitoring and contact tracing remain difficult in several conflict-affected regions of Congo due to insecurity and movement restrictions.
In a statement posted on X, the WHO said laboratory tests confirmed Ebola infection in two of the 12 suspected cases identified in Uganda, while the remaining cases tested negative.
Government Says No Need for Panic
The Health Ministry urged citizens not to panic, emphasizing that India has prior experience in handling Ebola-related preparedness measures.
Officials noted that similar precautionary systems were effectively implemented during the major Ebola outbreak in Africa in 2014. The government said coordinated mechanisms between ministries and health agencies are already active to ensure rapid monitoring and containment if required.
“All concerned ministries and departments have been alerted and are undertaking necessary preventive and surveillance measures in coordination with the Health Ministry,” sources said.
The Centre also appealed to the public to follow official advisories and rely only on verified information issued by health authorities.










